Last weekend, at PR Day in NY, I bought three yards of white cotton shirting from Kashi at Metro Textiles. It looked like good quality stuff and at $4 per yard, it was within my budget. That day we'd seen cotton shirting for more than $50 per yard!
I decided to make myself a plain white shirt, which I realized last week would look nice with my wacky flowered suit: http://picasaweb.google.com/PeterLappinNYC/FloweredJacket#.
Once again I returned to my old reliable pattern, Butterick 4712 from the Seventies, making View A (the long sleeve blue shirt).
Shangri-La must be down there somewhere.... (that's a Lost Horizon joke.)
After laundering, the tedium of ironing.
The left front pattern piece, which on this pattern is slightly different from the left right and includes the button placket. Many shirt patterns have you cut two identical front sides and add the placket separately.
I generally attach both front and back yokes to the shirt back at the same time. Here's the inside seam allowance.
With fronts and back attached and plackets completed.
A close-up of the button placket.
I was very careful with my sleeve plackets and they both turned out well, though one is visibly narrower than the other. This one is the wider of the two.
This one is the narrower. It's always something, right?
I used my old Singer buttonholer to make these and they turned out pretty well.
Another buttonhole. I was surprised that going around once seemed like enough, though I usually go around twice.
Would you believe that as I was making my center buttonholes, I accidently caught some of the right front shirt cloth in it? I thought I'd shoot myself. Luckily I was able to carefully detach the cloth without ruining the shirt.
The underside of what I just described. MORAL: Don't rush when making your buttonholes.
Drats! I didn't press my interfacing on the collar long enough and it's already puckering. I hate that.
I also had trouble with an Elna double rolled hem foot I used for the first time (it came with my Grasshopper). Normally these turn out quite well.
More hem messiness.
The finished shirt.
A close up of the left collar. You can also see the narrow armscye seam allowance, which I trimmed down to about 1/4 inch, overcast, and topstitched.
I used French seams on the arm and torso seams.
Here's the overcast armscye seam -- overcast and topstitched down.
This is the outside shoulder with the topstitching visible.
My collar interfacing is also poorly fused and puckering. I didn't press it on long enough (normally I wait a full 10 seconds).
After pressing (with a little spray starch). Even with all its imperfections, it's a nice, wearable shirt.
The cotton has an elegant sheen to it when pressed.
From the back.
It's windy in NYC today.
With a white T-shirt underneath.
OK, ready for the next project!