My pattern is Butterick 4712, one of my favorite vintage shirt patterns from the Seventies. This time I'm making version "B," the short-sleeve knit shirt.
This version had never been cut out.
My fabric is bright blue terrycloth from the remainder bin of a fabric store on 35th St.
My Viking zigzagger did not like this stretch knit fabric.
My Singer Spartan straight stitcher had no problem with it, in contrast.
I made a breast pocket, but when it was done I realized I'd made it upside down: the nap ran the wrong way. I never made another one.
On the dressform.
Stitching on the placket.
Pinning down the placket.
The plackets topstitched.
Trimming inside the collar edge (the right part is already trimmed). I used an old piece of sheet instead of fusible interfacing.
A lot of trimming of seam allowances was required because the terry cloth is so thick.
Another look. I still have to sew the top left placket to the right one at the bottom.
Almost done. I'm holding the Vera tablecloth that will probably become Bermuda shorts.
This is the pattern I'll use to make the shorts.
The shirt on Michael.
Inside seams. Nothing fancy.
The finished shirt. I decided not to add buttons.
I like the fit.
From the rear.
I ended up removing the stitching from the sleeve cuff. I may leave it rough. It's rolls up naturally.
Summer, I'm ready for you!
More about this shirt on my blog: http://malepatternboldness.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-terrycloth-shirt-knit-wit-giveaway.html